Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The scoop

Ice cream and I have always had a bit of a love affair. So creamy, so cold, so absolutely delicious. It has been a comfort, a reward, and most recently a truly guilty pleasure. (Damn that peppermint ice cream from Baskin Robins!) The thing about ice cream is that it is always good. No matter where you are it is just good. Sure, my freezer is always stocked with the good stuff, but every once in a while there is nothing like a scoop of over processed, totally not all natural Breyer's, from Thrifty's (aka Rite Aid). That's right- I absolutely adore a cone from this local drug store chain. I can remember when I was little, maybe 7 or8, and I would search the couch cushions for change so that I could walk to Thrifty's in the Summer for a 2 scooper of chocolate malted crunch and mint chip (the double cost a whopping 25 cents in those days! Now it will set you back $1.50). But these were no ordinary scoops.

No, these were different. They had flat sides and were really tall. They were virtually "towers" of ice cream. They filled the cone just perfectly. These scoops just make sense in a cake cone. You know, the kind of cone that has a name on the side like Hans or Pablo or Gertrude?

For years I have been fascinated by these scoopers. Yes, I know, I have VERY strange quirks. I have searched antique shops, restaurant supply stores, and every kitchen gadget store known to man. They simply do not exist outside of the "Thrifty" ice cream counter. My fascination became so out of wack that I actually asked Gabe to find me the aforementioned scooper on eBay for Christmas. He did, but at $50, my obsession had to be stopped. I mean come on, that is a little ridiculous, isn't it? And so I gave up. I resolved to be content with my boring old round scooper from Target. Until today, that is. You see, I was reading a favorite blog of mine, Pretty Little Things, and there it was: The Cuisipro Scoop and Stack. Obviously a designer for this company had the good fortune of going to a Thrifty Drug Store recently. A knock-off for sure, but it will be mine. Thank you. I am content. Would you like to join me for a scoop?





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that brings back memories. I remember walking to Thriftys with my change as well. I think it was only 10 cents a scoop then, so I always had a double. Chocolate chip and mint chip, everytime. I can't believe it has taken this long to create that scoop. Gotta have one, thanks!

southern daze said...

I love it! I grew up on Thrifty's as well and didn't realize how nostalgic I was for them until reading this post. Now I, too, must own one! You haven't lived until you've had a square scoop of ice cream! Thanks for helping me revisit some great childhood memories!

Jihan Zencirli said...

i'm leaving the house right now to buy this!

Unknown said...

this is exactly what i need for my daughter and i:)